Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Fall is in the Air, Soup is on the Stove

       Lisa's Dinnertime Dish has moved.  Please visit me at my new and improved blog site!  The new address is http://lisasdinnertimedish.com.  I look forward to seeing you at the new site!!


      Today was definitely not as warm as the last few days have been.  When the weather starts to turn cooler, it definitely puts me in the mood for soups and stews.  They just make you feel warm and cozy.  Since I had just filled my freezer with homemade chicken stock, I decided that chicken noodle soup would be on the menu tonight.

     Soup is actually a very easy thing to make, my chicken noodle soup only has about six main ingredients.  You could make it even more simple by buying carrots, celery and onion that are already chopped.  I used raw chicken, but if you had cooked chicken on hand (like a rotisserie chicken), you could definitely use that instead.  Since I had a lot of ingredients on hand, I made a triple batch so that I would have lots of leftovers to freeze for later.
   
     This recipe is a family favorite, I usually serve it with a salad and some warm bread.  Simple and delicious!  I shared this recipe in an earlier post, but I thought I would share it again, along with some photos, so you can see how delicious it looks.


Chicken Noodle Soup
This recipe will serve about 4 to 5 people


     2 tsp olive oil
     1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
     2 medium or large carrots,  peeled and chopped
     2 large stalks of celery, chopped
     ½ medium onion, chopped
     1 tsp poultry seasoning
     1 tsp salt
     ½ tsp pepper
     6 cups chicken stock
     1 cup multi-grain pasta, such as Barilla Plus


Heat olive oil in 5 quart dutch oven over medium heat.  Add carrots, celery, onion and poulty seasoning and sauté for about 5-7 minutes until the onions are translucent.  Add chicken stock and increase heat to high and bring to a boil.  While waiting for soup to boil, cut chicken into one inch pieces.  Once soup comes to a boil, turn heat down to medium high and add the chicken and let it poach for about 5 minutes.  Then add pasta and let it cook for 8-10 minutes.  Remove from heat immediately or the pasta will continue to cook and will soak up the liquid and become over-done.  If you are not going to serve the soup immediately, you can let the soup simmer over low heat without the pasta.  10 minutes before you’re ready to eat, increase heat to medium high and add pasta and cook as directed above.


Sounds pretty simple, doesn't it?  Looks pretty tasty, doesn't it?  Give it a try and see if your family likes it as much as mine does.


No comments:

Post a Comment