Pages

Friday, September 23, 2011

Pound Cake.....YUM!

        Lisa's Dinnertime Dish has moved.  Please visit me at my new and improved blog site!  The new address is http://lisasdinnertimedish.com.  I look forward to seeing you at the new site!!


     OK....So....This morning has been overcast, it looks like it's going to rain and it's not very warm out.  That does not make me want to leave the house.  It makes me want to curl up in a ball and sit in front of the fireplace.  I figured, though, that I should try and do something productive.  So I decided to give my Kitchen Aid another work out and make Paula Deen's Southwest Georgia Pound Cake......I know, I'm baking again.  Pretty soon I'm going to have to admit that I kind of enjoy it.

     I don't think you can go wrong with a Paula Deen recipe for dessert.  You know it's going to have plenty of butter and plenty of sugar in it.  I found this recipe about 5 years ago and it is one of my favorite cake recipes.  I have modified the recipe a bit to try and make it a little more "healthy".  I have reduced the amount of sugar from 3 cups to 2 cups and I have substituted buttermilk (more on that in a minute) for heavy cream.  I have not touched the butter though.  There are some things you just don't mess with!  I also discovered today that you can essentially make your own buttermilk.  I did not have any on hand, so I looked up buttermilk substitution and found that you can add 1 tbsp lemon juice or white vinegar to 1 cup minus 1tbsp milk.  You then let it sit for 5 minutes and you have your own buttermilk.

     This cake is great topped with fresh strawberries and/or lemon curd.  But today I decided that I am going drizzle it with a chocolate glaze.  I'm actually taking some help from the store on this one. It's a Duncan Hines product called Amazing Glazes.  You just heat it up and pour it over your cake and you're done.




 Southwest Georgia Pound Cake
Adapted from Paula Deen





  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 6 large eggs
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Generously grease and flour a 10-inch bundt pan.  Do not preheat the oven.

Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy. 



Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  




Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. (I have no idea if sifting makes a difference, but if Paula says sift, I sift!)



Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to butter-sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour.  Stir in vanilla.

Pour batter into prepared pan.


Put into a cold oven and set the temperature to 325 degrees.  Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes without opening the oven door.  Bake for an additional 15 minutes if necessary. (I have a convection oven and it usually does not require the additional time, although today it took an additional 5 minutes)

Remove from the oven and cool in pan for 15 minutes.



Invert cake onto a cake plate.


ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment