Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Curried Pumpkin Soup, a Perfect Lunch for an Autumn Day

       Lisa's Dinnertime Dish has moved.  Please visit me at my new and improved blog site!  The new address is http://lisasdinnertimedish.com.  I look forward to seeing you at the new site!!


     Today is one of those chilly, cloudy autumn days that just make you want to curl up.  Since Steve is working from home today (and so I had someone to eat with), I thought some nice warm soup would make a perfect lunch for us.  I am stocked up on canned pumpkin, so why not make a pumpkin soup?

     I wanted something on the spicy side.  I figured that would really help to warm us up and forget how chilly it is outside!  So curried pumpkin soup it was.  I had the curry spice, some coconut milk and of course, I had just made a very large batch of chicken stock.  I figured that was a good base for what I wanted to do.  The end product really was not much more complicated than that.  The only other things I added were onion, garlic, red pepper flakes and cilantro.

     It turned out nice and spicy.  The coconut milk was really just a note in the background, adding just a little sweetness to help balance the spiciness.  The curry came through and the cilantro added some nice flavor.

Curried Pumpkin Soup



  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 medium red onion, chopped
  • 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (more or less to your taste)
  • 1 1/2 tsp curry powder (again, more or less to your taste)
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 14 oz can pumpkin puree
  • 1 cup lite coconut milk
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
  • chopped cilantro for garnish


Chop the onion, garlic and cilantro.


Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a soup pot.  Add garlic and saute for a few minutes, then add red pepper flakes and garlic.



Add salt and pepper to taste and the curry powder.



Stir in pumpkin puree.


Add coconut milk and combine.



Add chicken stock and stir in.


Finally, puree the soup until smooth.  I use an immersion blender, but you could also use a blender or food processor.



Serve with chopped cilantro.

ENJOY!


Shared on Newlyweds Blog on 10/25/11
Shared on Lady Behind the Curtain on 10/26/11
Shared on Hugs and Cookies XOXO on 10/26/11
Shared on Deelicious Sweets on 10/30/11
Shared on This Chick Cooks on 11/30/11
Shared on Family Fresh Meals on 11/30/11
Shared on Easy Natural Food on 1/1/12


7 comments:

  1. Your soup looks incredibly delicious! I love everything about it - the coconut milk, the pumpkin, the curry - such a wonderful combination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I had some of this right now. Thanks for sharing on Newlyweds Pumpkin week. I just pinned this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an easy soup to whip up on a chili fall day! Looks so good and comforting. Thanks for linking up to my blog hop. Happy Halloween :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the simplicity of this recipe. I might add a sweet tart apple, but then I have a boatload of apples to use and I'm always working them into just about anything I make. Your photos are quite appealing and it's not easy to make soup stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am loving this curry and pumpkin idea! They sound like an amazing combo :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious! I'm a recent convert to curried pumpkin soups, but I now love them :) Thanks for sharing this with Sunday Night Soup Night, look forward to seeing you again soon!

    ReplyDelete