Pages

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Tex-Mex Lasagna

       Lisa's Dinnertime Dish has moved.  Please visit me at my new and improved blog site!  The new address is http://lisasdinnertimedish.com.  I look forward to seeing you at the new site!!


      I love one-pot or one-pan meals.  They make getting dinner on the table easy and they are great if you are serving a lot of people or if you need to bring a dish to a party.  This recipe for Tex-Mex lasagna totally fits the bill.  Not only is it a one-pan meal, it is super easy to put together because it doesn't involve any cooking or chopping ahead of time.  You assemble the lasagna and pop it in the oven.  How easy does that sound?

     This recipe is one that I found in Cooking Light.  The original recipe is vegetarian, but I decided that I wanted to make it a little heartier and so I added shredded pork to the recipe.  If you wanted a vegetarian dish, you could omit the pork and it would still be delicious (I have had it both ways).  I happened to have shredded pork in my freezer, but if you don't have any on hand, you could add cooked chicken (a rotisserie chicken would work great).

     If you're going to make this ahead for later (like I did), you'll want to assemble everything but don't bake it.  Cover the pan tightly and refrigerate or freeze.  If you're going to freeze it, it will work best to thaw it before baking.


Tex-Mex Lasagna
Adapted from Cooking Light



  • 1 1/2 cups bottled salsa
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
  • 2 8oz cans tomato sauce
  • cooking spray
  • 9 no-boil lasagna noodles (I used Barilla)
  • 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
  • 2 15 oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 cups cooked, shredded pork
  • 3 cups shredded reduced fat Mexican blend cheese (I used a combination of Mexican and sharp cheddar, because that's what I had on hand)


Preheat oven to 450 degrees
Combine first 4 ingredients.




Spread about 1 cup of the sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 pan coated with cooking spray.


Arrange 3 noodles over the sauce, top with 1 cup of the corn, half of the beans and 1 cup of the pork.




Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese and top with 1 cup or so of the sauce.



Repeat layers once (noodles, corn, beans, pork, cheese, sauce), top with remaining 3 noodles.  Spread 1 1/2 to 2 cups of sauce over the noodles.  Top with remaining cheese.


Cover with foil, bake at 450 degrees for 30 minutes or until sauce is bubbly. Let stand for 15 minutes.

ENJOY!


Shared at This Chick Cooks on 10/12/11
Shared at Lady Behind the Curtain on 10/12/11

1 comment:

  1. That sounds so good!

    Stopping by from This Chick Cooks :)

    ReplyDelete