Pages

Monday, November 7, 2011

Mexican Cornbread Casserole

        Lisa's Dinnertime Dish has moved.  Please visit me at my new and improved blog site!  The new address is http://lisasdinnertimedish.com.  I look forward to seeing you at the new site!!


     Last week I ran into Trader Joe's to pick up a couple of things.  If you've ever been to Trader Joe's, you know that they are always sampling something.  I, of course, had to try the sample of the day.  This particular day it was a casserole that looked like it would make a really quick weeknight meal.  They took a can of their turkey chili, put it in a casserole dish, sprinkled some cheese over that and then topped it all with their corn muffin mix and baked it.  It was delicicous, so  I took a box of the corn bread mix home with me.

    I did have to change this up to make it work for my family.  Alex will not eat chili because he doesn't like beans.  So instead of the chili, I took some pulled pork that I had in the freezer and mixed it with tomato sauce, salsa, chili powder and cumin.  If your family doesn't like pork or you don't have any on hand, you could use shredded chicken or ground beef.  Or, you could certainly use a can of chili or your own chili (just make sure it's thicker chili).


Mexican Cornbread Casserole


  • 1 package cornbread mix, for an 8x8 pan (I used Traders Joe's), batter prepared according to directions
  • 2 cups pulled pork (or whatever cooked meat you like)
  • 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
  • 1 cup salsa, whatever heat level you want (I used medium)
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I used reduced fat)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare cornbread batter according to directions and set aside.


Mix tomato sauce, salsa, chili powder and cumin together.


Add pork to mixture and combine.




Pour pork mixture into a 9x13 pan coated with cooking spray and spread evenly.



Sprinkle cheese over the top of the pork.



Pour cornbread batter over the top and spread evenly.


Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes.


Serve immediately!

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment